Re: [OM] What did I buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What did I buy?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:21:16 +0100
>...Ain't e-Bay fun?!?!  :-)))

But don't you have to be careful too. Looking at the totals at the bottom of
my eBay page I'd have been in severe financial trouble if I'd won everything
I've bid on!

Yesterday I was telling my brother about my eBay experiences of the last few
weeks and told him "I should be okay as long as I can stop myself bidding on
lenses - I just don't need any more lenses." So what did I do last night but
manually 'snipe' a duo of 50mm Zuikos - an f1.4 MC and a f3.5 Macro - and
win them at $209.50 inc. air postage, a bit on the high side by US standards
but quite reasonable by UK prices, depending as always of course on H M
Customs. While waiting for the end of the auction and trying to decide
whether to bid higher, I looked at the bid history and was encouraged to
proceed when I saw that our much-respected Zuiko tester had bid on them. I
saw later though that he'd bid at wholesale price level whereas I had gone
on to buy at retail!

The only item I've received from the US so far is the Leitz-like table top
tripod that I mentioned before. This is excellent and so rock steady that it
will probably replace my ground spike. It's quicker to erect than the old
Leitz one that I used to have because as the legs are unclamped, a finger
tip can rotate the lower leg, when all three stop automatically, equally
spaced at 120 degrees. The ball and socket head is no match for the Leitz
one, of course, (and which I couldn't afford even in the '60s) but it works
fine, which is just as well because you couldn't remove it and fit the
camera straight on the legs because the threaded rod is much too long. These
little 'pods are obviously available new, marketed as an accessory for the
Polaroid Spectra system.

Regards,
Keith Berry
(Birmingham, England)