[OM] Vivitar T-mount adaptor problem solved

Subject: [OM] Vivitar T-mount adaptor problem solved
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 02:11:59 GMT
I finally solved that peculiar problem I had with an old Vivitar T-mount 300/5.6; mentioned a month or so ago. Turns out that when I removed the existing adaptor (marked "CS") I only removed *part* of the mount. So when I attached the new adaptors (OM and FD) the remaining portion of the old adaptor acted as a small extension ring, thus making a 300mm macro that wouldn't focus to infinity. Not quite what I wanted.

A fellow at Arlington Camera - apparently experienced at strangling bears and alligators - twisted that ring off pronto and solved the problem for me.

Now I have another problem, easily diagnosed and solved. A tiny screw that's attached to the lens release button of the generic OM adaptor extends too far inside the adaptor ring, preventing the lens from seating fully into the adaptor. A quick buzz with a moto-tool or jeweler's file will fix it.

I'm still trying to figure out what camera the original T-mount adaptor was for. Which cameras used a 42mm coarse thread? It's not for the Pentax Spotmatics or similar fine thread mounts. The "CS" marking must be some sort of hint, but "Coarse Screw" is the only thing I can think of ... which just goes to show how my mind works.

Lex
===