Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting

Subject: Re: [OM] - OT - back to cars and commuting
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 20:40:41 -0600
On 8 Sep 2000, at 1:05, Charles Geilfuss wrote:

>   The Canadian conection may have come from your time in SC particularly if
> hung out with any native Charlestonians. It has to do with the way we
> pronounce the "ou" sound (house, out, about)which is very similar to the
> Canadian accent. I've been asked that same question many times.

Not to perpetuate yet-another-off-topic-discussion, but which Canajun
accent wudja be talkin' 'bout???  There's a number of them:

1.  French Canajun:  Dat damn Anglais and der damn country!
2.  Maritime Canajun: I'm going oot and aboot...
3.  Prairie Canajun: Great beer, eh?
4.  Aboriginal Canajun:  Gimme my damn land back!!!
5.  Ontario Canajun: Those other Canadians sure do talk funny!
6.  Albertan Canajun: Who's a redneck?!?!?

Etc., etc., etc....

Saying someone has a Canadian accent is like saying someone has an
'Murican accent.  Folks from JawJaw sound a heck of alot different (and
slower! <G>) than someone from California, or New Yawk, or Bahhston.

Hope that makes sense, eh?

Chris