Re: [OM] Film Disaster

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Disaster
From: Garry Lewis <glewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:55:57 -0500
Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Unfortunately, what it points up is that the web is a poor lens through
> which to view images.  A print from the high rez version of the scan shows
> unacceptably poor resolution.  It looks like an image from a throwaway
> camera, not an OM.  There is a limit to the magic of Photoshop (or my magic
> anyway).
>
> But I'm glad you sort of challenged me to investigate the damage.

Well I guess something changed over the years. Back in the 70's, we would take
a roll of Ektachrome-x and deliberately soup it in color negative
chemistry. The whole experiment was to find out what it was like in the old (?)
days to print from unmasked color negative materials. Also just to see
if we could come up with a good print. If I recall right, it would work if you
didn't mind the high contrast and grain. Maybe that is why I don't
remember any "poor resolution". Still I hope you keep experimenting as
a learning experience- in case the happens on someting, "gotta have it and
can't reshoot!"

side note: this is the only technique I know of to photograph a green rose.
}:-)>>

        yours some of those thrilling day of yesteryear weren't so thrilling,

                                Garry D. Lewis

--
strange that those things that often seem to be the answer to all our dreams,
sometimes turn into the beginnings of a nightmare.