Re: [OM] TTL metering with an OM2n

Subject: Re: [OM] TTL metering with an OM2n
From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 23:24:47 +0100
On Thu, 7 Sep 2000 20:46:32 -0600, Chris wrote:

>Whoa!!!  I'm confused now!  I've always thought that the TTL metering
>system of the OM line sets the exposure by taking a reading off the
>shutter (or is it the film plane?) at the moment the mirror flips up and the
>shutter opens.
>
>Isn't this right???

Totally!  The "meter" in the OM2-n is just like that in the OM1: AFAIK
a CDS cell, galvo, bits of string and springs!  The shutter control
(in AUTO) is a different matter; once the mirror is up it's a real
time control of the shutter; even if in the instant of pressing the
button the light suddenly changes, the shutter control will allow for
it, even though the real shutter time won't correspond with the
reading you saw on the meter a moment before!

It's a beautiful, elegant, simple system: an all analog timing circuit
that's pretty much bullet proof. The only fault that's arisen in both
OM2's that I have is a dirty ASA resistor (that lives under the
compensation dial).

Regards

John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)