Re: Pics in Parks - OT [OM] Will I ever learn?

Subject: Re: Pics in Parks - OT [OM] Will I ever learn?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:52:21 +0000
I read the "film permit" policy.  It is geared for cinema production
companies, or commercial still photography with assistants, huge
reflectors, models, etc.  There may be some other policy that requires
permit for ALL commercial activity, but I think that is geared for
"concessions."  In other words, setting up a stand to sell your prints to
people on park grounds.  There may be yet another permit requirement I
didn't find in my search.

In reading some of the other NPS remarks about the "film permit" policies,
it is designed to protect the people filming, the park resources from
damage, and minimize or keep filming activities from interfering with
normal park operations and other visitors' usage.  I think if you are using
a large format on a tripod in such a manner that it is not interfering with
park operations any more than anyone else's other recreational use would,
not damaging the park itself, and not endangering anyone or anything, then
there really isn't anything for them to complain about.

However, all it takes is an overzealous Park Ranger (the NFS has similar
policies) to interpret the need for a "film permit" to apply to anyone that
has any professional "looking" camera gear and you have a confrontation.

I would be most interested in seeing Ken Norton's memo too!  I have never
been confronted by park management in any park, local, state or federal,
about photographing anything.  In doing my photographs in those venues,
only the minimal equipment required is used (including a tripod), it can
all be carried on the back or shoulder, and I'm pretty careful in trying to
stay out of other people's way in their recreational use.  Consideration of
the other users and of the park itself goes a long way.

-- John