Re: [OM] National Park Photography Policy

Subject: Re: [OM] National Park Photography Policy
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 20:19:42 +0000
Thanks Ken,
This is what I had found which is the complete policy which yours
apparently clarifies:
  http://www.nps.gov/refdesk/DOrders/FilmingA20.html

Yours is consistent with, and clarifies what would only make common sense.
If you read the above, you see that it's really geared for cinema filming
or still photography that approaches cinema productions with props, models,
reflectors, etc.  BTW, the issue of requiring some sort of approval or
review prior to publication not only runs completely counter to
Constitutional 1st Amendent rights (for personal, news or commercial use),
it is also specifically addressed in a section of the larger document
above.  In short, they cannot control the content.  I quote the relevant
section below (the second sentence says it all):
------------------------
  MEDIA CONSIDERATIONS

  First Amendment Rights, Permits, and Cost Recovery

  Some filming projects are conducted with ongoing First Amendment
  demonstrations. (Refer to Appendix 5) The fact that a permit may be required
  for filming does not mean that the Government may censor or control a film's
  content. Just as is true for any other type of park use, the potential for
  resource damage or, in some cases, the proposed actions of a group that
  might pose health and safety concerns both to itself and visitors, may
  trigger the requirement for a permit. However, the NPS shall not require
  the payment of fees, insurance coverage or a performance bond for a
  demonstration, nor shall it recover its costs incurred in managing the
  activity.