Re: [OM] Billingham Bags

Subject: Re: [OM] Billingham Bags
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:00:36 +0100
Peter Gilbert asks:
> Anyone on the list have any experience with Billingham bags?

I have a smallish one that is about 15 years old and I love it. Can't
remember the model number I'm afraid.

> I'm thinking about getting either a 550 or 445 model bag and
wondered
> whether anyone has any experience with either of these models or the
> Billingham bags in general.

> I know they are quite expensive, but are they worth the money? How
do
> they last and wear? Do they protect your gear? Are they practical to
> work from "on the move"? Any problems?

They last very well. The only problem with mine is that the stitching
on one of the straps is coming adrift. I met Roz Billingham at a photo
fair and jokingly complained about this and she just said "send it
back, we'll repair it for you".

They protect the gear very well indeed. The material looks like
ordinary canvas but is backed with an absolutely waterproof layer so
it keeps the weather where it should be - outside the bag. The
dividers inside the bag seem to protect the gear very well, and the
configuration is extremely flexible.

Access to the inside can be a little tricky, specially if you overfill
it as I tend to - but I guess that's the price you pay for good
protection. And it becomes less of a problem once you are used to it.

The main characteristic of Billinghams is that they are much bigger
inside than out. They ran an advert with the strapline "A lot goes
into a Billingham" for a while, showing a small bag and a mountain of
kit, and it is quite true, you can cram stacks of stuff in.

I'm a big fan.

John