RE: [OM] Billingham Bags

Subject: RE: [OM] Billingham Bags
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:54:50 +1000
Actually - New Zealand   !!!!

There is a mob in NZ (they do mail order) advertising Billingham 550 bags for NZ $450 which is about A$350 ( at current exchange rates, that's about US$2.25 - only kidding !!!!! ). This isn't much more than a LowePro Magnum AW in Australia. I checked on Domke prices thru my local pro/educational photo supplier earlier this year and nearly fell over backwards when they told me the price. I think it was something like AU$450-500 for a F-2 (or J-2 ? ), and then you had to spring extra $$$ for straps, padded inserts etc etc.......

Maybe the mob in NZ haven't updated their prices since the Aussie $ has crashed (I understand that the NZ $ is even worse). I might be in for a nasty shock if I actually decide to go ahead and place an order, as they will then be told the wholesale price and they may have to re-evaluate their retail price.....

I should have added in my original post that I don't mind paying for a good quality bag that will last for 10-15 years (or longer with some care), but don't want to pay big bucks for just a reputation or a snob-factor brand name. That's why I was interested in other list members "real-world" experiences with Billingham - are they as good as their reputation seems to indicate?

Current UK price at the Billingham site is UKP200 which is roughly AU$600.

peter

Where in Melbourne would that be, Peter? I've never seen them hanging on
the wall at Ted's :-)
Andrew