[OM] various stuff ...

Subject: [OM] various stuff ...
From: Reuben Acciano <rubydoomsday@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:52:53 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

Just some comments on some topics from the Aussie whippernsapper ...

Firstly, is there a huge practical difference between the 1 and 2 series
screens? Because, doing a lot of low-light work, I could benefit from the
extra brightness ... I only have way fast lenses now, whih helps, but every
little bit helps right?

Bags - I used to use a Lowepro Nova 4, which was adequate - Perth is a small
place with a low crime rate, therefore there's no real problem with people
"knowing" you're a photographer. OTOH, I have travelled a fair bit, and the
last time I went away. I took a Tatonka Photo daypack. They make travle
packs/backpacks primarily; this model is a normal size daypack, but with a
bottom tray partitioned and padded to take photo gear. It also has a waist
belt and chest straps for better wieght distribution and cost about AUD$100
(55-60 US).

This was an excellent bag in terms of capacity, strength of construction
etc, but I put it to the group that ANY bag made out of Goretex, or Nylon or
some other brightly coloured synthetic is going to scream "tourist" which is
basically the same thing as "photographer" in the eyes of a crim - you're a
mark with money/valuables.

I got around this by - luckily finding (ie. free) - a German army surplus
satchel, made of heavy duty canvas, just lying around a hostel I was staying
at. I cleaned it and restructured the strap and the clips connecting it to
the bag with slightly heavier duty clips (metal). It hangs just like one of
those bike courier bags. It's now the only bag I use for street/walking
photography,  though the Tatonka would come with me if I were going to walk
up a mountain or something. When taking travel photos I rarely bring more
than two lenses and a flash anyway. For those of you who are paranoid about
knocks and bumps etc - the OLy lens hardcases are ideal quick-release lens
cases anyway - just put your lenses in them front-down and rear cap off (but
lid firmly shut of course!!!) and you'll be surprsied how quick you can dlip
one open and change lenses. The "crapness" of the bag means I never attract
undue attention, while the lens cases protect the gear from bumps (I've even
used foam beeer-can insulation before - what we call stubbie holders down
here ...). No one would ever twig to the AUD$3000 worth of Oly stuff inside.
Always try to blend in, always.

Cheers,
Reuben

PS. My 85 f2 and 24 f2 finally arrived, and they are GREAT!! The old guy I
bought them off even threw in hard cases, front and rear caps, and both
lenses are EXC++. For $470 AUD (300 US) this is nothing if not a steal! I
am, probably needless to say, ecstatic.