Re: [OM] Will I ever learn?

Subject: Re: [OM] Will I ever learn?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:27:58 +0000
At 12:42 9/11/00 , Jez asked:
>John asked:
>
>   Now for the real question: [drum roll] Does anyone ask if you are a
>   professional photographer when they see your photographs?
>
>They always say the worst comment to receive when they see your photographs
>is "Wow - they're good - you must have a very expensive camera!".
>As a proud Zuikoholic how do YOU at the same time take credit for the
>content as well as promote the Oly name?
>
>Jez

If it's asked in terms of what was used for it, I give the technical data:
film format (I have MF gear too), lens focal length and speed, exposure,
time of day, weather, compositional considerations, and film type.

If asked specifically about brand/model I'll mention the OM system with
relevant remarks about small size, light weight, excellent fast optics,
ease of use, emphasize its capability for manual control of focus and
exposure, and how it suited my methods for the photo being discussed.

Brand and model fixation is misguided at best.  Frankly, there's nothing
I've done that couldn't have been done with the equivalent Nikon F3/FM-2,
Canon A-1, or even Pentax K-mount systems (except maybe the Pentax system
lacks [??] a PC shift lens).  For me, it's easier using the OM.

Ken:  Congrats on surviving shooting your boss' wedding.  You are indeed a
braver man than I!

BTW, just received word that the following, which was entered into a
contest, was selected as the "Editor's Photo of the Day," a photo that Ken
Norton should appreciate:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/gallery/contax17.html

Yes, that's my hand in the upper right.  Alas, it was not done using an OM,
but with this mid-1950's vintage beauty:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/zi/zeissikonframe.html

-- John
Who cringed at the thought of Ken shooting a wedding under those conditions.