Re: [OM] Black flakes, again

Subject: Re: [OM] Black flakes, again
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:12:06 EDT
Cc: tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 09/12/2000 12:01:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I just got a 'new to me', 21/2.  The exterior and the glass surfaces are
>  perfect, but.. (that but keeps coming back in), there are a large number of
>  black flakes in the lens.  I mean a LOT.  On a 21/2, what's the general
>  opinion on how this will affect the pics? My thinking is that with this
wide
>  a lens, it might be ok.
>
>  In a related question, what's the consensus on the CLA cost for something
>  like this?

My only experience with black flakes (paint, I think) is in 50/1.8's. They
have never been a problem for me, but I never had a lens with more than a
couple of visible flakes.

I suspect you won't have a problem. As far as the value of a CLA, if the lens
is really otherwise "perfect" it may be worth it *if* you plan on reselling
it. You'll end up with a like new lens which should fetch a significantly
higher price.

But you did answer your own question - "Try it". You must have a few more
21/2's lying around the house that you can test it against, right? Check the
fridge, that's the first place I always check when I'm looking for
something...

Paul has-nothing-wider-than-a-24-so-is-considering-a-private-email-to-Tom
Schings