[OM] What did I do wrong (superia 800 goof) ?

Subject: [OM] What did I do wrong (superia 800 goof) ?
From: atk@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 13 Sep 2000 13:08:25 -0000
Hi -- I guess I'm a bit inexperienced and could use a little advice. I took
a roll of 800asa superia at a wedding (was going to use supra but couldn't get
a roll on short notice). By 'accident' I underexposed the images by 1/3 an f
stop (was going to over expose by 1/3 but goofed -- don't laugh). Anyways the
images (even as 4x6 prints) came back horribly graining and the negatives are
some what thin. Also the images are very yellowish. This was taken with natural
light in a chapel (some sun but also incandescent bulbs). I guess this explains
the 'yucky' yellow. (I wasn't allowed to use a flash).

I have never used superia 800 before but I have shot several 'test' rolls of
both supra and superia 400. While I found supra 400 to be somewhat intolerant
of both under and over exposure, I found 400 to behave ok even under exposed
1/2 fstop so I was very surprise at how thin/grainy the 800 film results.
Should I have had the 800 roll pushed given that I realized it was 1/3 fstop
under-exposed before development?

Anyways, if I can't use a flash any suggestions on what i can do better next
time to reduce the yellow and obtain better details/less grain? Would using a
faster film but over exposing a little produce less visible grain in the image ?

thanks
Alan