Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f2.8 thanks! (+ Q on 180/2.5)

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 f2.8 thanks! (+ Q on 180/2.5)
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:30:33 -0700
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skip Williams wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I told you that you'd be pleased with that lens.  Good luck.
>
> BTW, Does anyone have experience with the Tamron 180/2.5 SP?   Greg
> Logidice had one and it looked very nice.  Similar to the 80-200/2.8 in
> build quality, i.e., lots of metal and beefy.  I'd expect similar
> performance.  Given the recent threads on the issues that some persons have
> had with the Zuiko 180/2.8, it might be an alternative.  And at a "market"
> price of $350-400, it's a pretty good deal vs. the Zuiko.
>
> Skip

Thanks Skip, you Gary, et all were right. That lens is fantastic. I
found it also is very easy to focus very quickly...it made me feel like
an AF computer when using it ;-). Who needs wunderbricks? For the first
time I actually saw other racing photographers looking at a lens I was
using and admiring it, for me that's a change. I could immediatly see a
noticable improvement in my results through an 8X loupe (Provia F film)
in the shots taken with this lens...it really is that good and I wish to
thank you all yet again for the recommendation. The SP 2X converter I
got with it has some kind of haze between the rear elements so I need to
either get it cleaned or replace it but I got the lens and converter for
$305.00 so I'm not complaining, the lens itself is fine. I did not try
it with my SP 1.4X converter yet since my older Tamron 70-350/4.5
actually does a decent job and is pretty quick too. I really do need a
300/2.8 bad though.

I hear the "special edition" SP 180/2.5LD is pheonominal as well. They
also made a 2.8 version. I have seen many of the 180/2.5s on eBay, some
for less than that $350-400 range. The 80-200 has a nine blade aperature
and I suspect the 180/2.5 does as well. With the 80-200/2.8 I don't
really see a need to carry a prime in that range any longer.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com