Re: [OM] JB Weld [Was: gluing rubber focus rings

Subject: Re: [OM] JB Weld [Was: gluing rubber focus rings
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:20:48 GMT
Yeh, I was joking about J.B. Weld. It's actually great stuff for rebuilding parts as you described. Adheres very well, is tough, and you can color it by mixing a bit of Testor's model kit paint in with the JB. Same with Duro epoxy. Doesn't harm the adhesion or integrity of the stuff.

I've actually considered building a fingergrip for my OM-1, similar to that available for the later OMs, using either JB or some of the putty epoxy used by plumbers. I'd use a sheet of wax paper or something like that to protect the body itself while molding the material. Then after the molded grip dried I'd grind, file, polish and paint it. The only real trick will be figuring out a way to attach and detach it readily. Probably require making a lightweight bracket that attaches to the tripod socket. Sounds like a lot of trouble but I've grown really fond of fingergrips on more ergonomically designed cameras. Especially when Fat Viv is hanging off my OM-1.

For target shooters that plumbers epoxy putty is great for modifying grips to make thumbrests, etc. When I shot 10-meter air pistol competition I modified grips so they'd hold my hand, instead of me holding the air pistol. Only precaution is to wear latex gloves (or other gloves if you're allergic to latex) while molding because the epoxy can provoke severe skin rashes when wet. I'd also wear a dust mask while grinding/filing the putty to final shape. Afterward I'd paint the epoxy and wood to match, usually crazy colors and patterns like metallic green and red tiger stripes. Didn't make me shoot any better but it looked kewl.

The stuff is probably useful for repairs to plastic-fantastic camera bodies too. Unlike liquid glues and epoxies, there's no worries about the stuff unwanted migration to internal parts.

Lex
===