Re: [OM] CCD chips

Subject: Re: [OM] CCD chips
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:53:57 +0200
On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 12:02:22PM -0400, dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Speaking of CCD chips, in yesterday's San Jose Mercury News,
> there was an article about a new digital chip breakthrough
> that will make digital "snapshots cheaper and easier".
>
> The chip is developed by Foveon Inc., a Santa Clara-based
> company.  It gives 4096x4096 pixels, "about twice the
> resolution of 35mm film".  And because it is a CMOS device
> instead of CCD, it will be much cheaper to manufacture.

Maybe an interresting development ....  time will tell ....
But like Tom I don`t like the statement, that it gives twice the resolution of
a 35mm film.
Just marketing.....
Because nobody can give a real value what the resolution of a 35mm film is!

Some suggestions:
When calculating DOF with a 1/30mm -> 24*1/1/30 * 36/1/130 = 720* 1080 => 0.7
Mio, Points,
But a CCD would need more pixels to distinguish these Points => not compareable.
MTF meter`s usually up to 40l/mm -> 80 pixels/mm necessarry -> 24*80*36*80=5.5
MioP.

The resolution of Zuiko lenses ranges from 45-65 l/mm (28-90 l/mm in extremes).
-> 6.9~14.5 MioP.
(see: http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-zuiko-tests.txt)

The resolution of color (slide) film  may vary  between 90-120 l/mm, ~> 30 ...
49 MioP.
and even 250 l/mm are possible (Technical pan).

Now chose your favorite value. <g>

The most interessting value is that for a good picture 1 Mio Points are
 necessary for the Human eye. This was the reference value used for the design
of the first 35mm camera (Leica). Since then the quality of film material
has slightly changed. <g>

Frieder Faig