Re: [OM] Vivitar 75-300 Rufous Hum Bird - Bokeh ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 75-300 Rufous Hum Bird - Bokeh ?
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:53:43 GMT
I tried to get some pix of our hummers this weekend before they all disappeared. Got mostly bokeh, very little bird.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1005538&a=7400079&p=28367199&Sequence=0&res=high

Used a Vivitar T-mount 300/5.6 preset with extension tube, which caused pretty extreme vignetting (cropped from this sample). Fuji Superia X-tra 800, no flash, exposure probably around 1/30 @ f/8 - effectively f/16 (it was getting late). Overall image is soft due to shooting through dirty window and window screen. Later I cleaned the window and removed the screen, but then the hummers wouldn't come near the feeder 'cause they could see us watching them.

It has a pleasant sort of pastoral look, but not quite what I wanted. My attempts with flash were merely harsh and still didn't freeze the bird's movement. Photographing hummers is tougher than I'd expected. Oh, well ... try again next year.

Lex
===