Re: [OM] short rolls

Subject: Re: [OM] short rolls
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:56:26 -0700
Thanks for the replies.

*Ken said,
==Portra is available in 8 exposure rolls.  Pros use
these short rolls all the time for product shots and
when that wedding/portrait shoot just demands two or
three extra shots.====

I need to research this.  I can only find 36 exp rolls.

*Barry wrote
===B&H lists short rolls.

Of course, they're expensive enough that the total savings over a
regular roll only amounts to $.50 or $1, so I'd prefer to just load
full rolls myself.====

If I could save a dollar a roll it would be worth it.
I only see 24 and 36 in the B&H book.
Guess I gotta call them.

And Lex added,
====Target department stores and Ritz Camera stores usually carry 12 exp
rolls
of consumer grade film.  Any pro shop should carry it too.  When I was an
OSHA safety inspector we used it frequently; so do law enforcement and fire
department photographers.

Regarding 35mm pro films, some just aren't available in 12 exp rolls.  But
good quality stuff like Gold Max is.=======

I have seen them but the 24's come in four packs that make them
almost half the cost.
As for pro film, I used to buy a Kodak print film in 12exp. that police used
for crime site work etc.   it was less contrasty than consumer film.
More like portrait film I'd say.  It may have been called Ektacolor.
I has heard that it was discontinued.

I wonder if that Kirkland film at Costco is less contrasty than Kodak or
Fuji
consumer film.  Maybe better for portraits.  It is Agfa - no?
Anyone have experience with it?  I know of several portrait photography
companies buying it but that may be just to save money.
When selling packages every cent of expense counts.  Some don't mind
sacrificing quality.  I do.

Regards,
Charlie L.