Re: [OM] 35RC

Subject: Re: [OM] 35RC
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:44:40 GMT
Unfortunately I sold my 35RC to a needy college student a while back so I might be disremembering here, but I don't think the camera needs a battery to operate manually. Have you tried setting the aperture ring to something other than "A"? One problem I've found with several used 35RCs in pawn shops, etc., is a damaged self timer from people turning it the wrong way and trying to force it back. Most cameras of this type put the self timer on the lens and it could be operated only one way, which probably was the best solution in retrospect.

If it turns out the camera needs servicing, whether it's worth a hundred bucks depends on the overall condition otherwise, and how much you want it. If it's in really nice condition, especially the lens, and the repair shop will guarantee function for a reasonable period, it might be worthwhile to you.

Mine took great shots, had the best viewfinder and focusing mechanism of any fixed lens consumer grade rangefinder I've seen, and was very quiet. Much as I like my XA3, I'd trade it to have my old 35RC back.

Lex
===