Re: [OM] What to buy ??

Subject: Re: [OM] What to buy ??
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:11:09 GMT
Cc: Bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
That's a difficult choice because the Olympus iS-series cameras have non-interchangeable zoom lenses. While I personally don't consider that to be a serious drawback, some folks might. The zooms of the iS-100/200/300 (iS-10/20/30 in the U.S.) cover 28-110mm, which is a "standard" focal length range for cameras with interchangeable lenses. The somewhat more advanced iS-3000 (iS-3 in the U.S.) has a 35-180mm lens.

The iS-series cameras can be fitted with adaptors to extend their wide angle and telephoto capabilities, which you've noted.

The Canon and Nikon cameras are both excellent choices. The only real difference is one of personal preference. To determine that, the user would need to handle them. Ergonomically they feel very different to me. To me Canon's layout of controls seems more comfortable, but hundreds of thousands of Nikon owners would disagree. Both have a large selection of excellent lenses, with Canon presently holding a slight edge (in my opinion) since they have a variety of lenses with their proprietary Image Stabilization technology which helps reduce the effects of camera shake. Again, many, many Nikon users would consider that to be less important than other factors in lens selection.

Since I'm a diehard manual focus SLR user my needs for an autofocus camera are few and very specific. For me such a camera would be used primarily for people photos where AF can have an advantage, especially when photographing sports or children (pets too). I'd want a lens that covers approximately 35mm to 100mm, since that's the focal length range I use most often for photographing people. I'd want convenient flash with flattering lighting characteristics. I'd want autoexposure modes that make sense, with a default mode that makes sense for 750f what I'd do. I'd want very fast, precise focus. A bright viewfinder. Just enough manual overrides for the occasions when I'd need it.

For me the Olympus iS-series meets all those requirements. Not just because I'm a longtime Olympus user - I'm not. I'm a longtime user of Canon manual focus gear. And I've carefully examined every autofocus system out there.

But I know what my needs are and they're very limited. My needs may be very different from your son's, who might soon feel hindered by the relative lack of interchangeable lenses, external flash and other accessories, especially if he's a budding photographer with serious asperations.

Oh, yes, regarding exposure accuracy, all three of those choices would do the job. No worries there.

Hope this helps some,

Lex Jenkins