Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:51:04 +0800
There are some points to note:

- check if there is any electrical connection between the battery to
the winder casing (usually a ground connection on either negative or
positive side).

- when you mount the winder to your camera, this electrical connection
will go to the camera. At the mean time the positive side of the
battery is grounded on your camera, so you must check the ground
polarity of the winder.

- the battery for your winder is usually Ni-cd (1.2V each), alkaline
(1.5V each).. or lithium... in any case there will be no stable
voltage when the capacity of your batteries go down. Your winder can
work with cells below 1V each. While your camera will stop at 2.8V
(1.4V each). The voltage will drop with battery capacity for either
alkaline or lithium cell and they will drop very fast with high winder
current consumption.

- there is a temporary voltage drop whenever you activate your winder,
this drop may create problem for your camera. If you really want to
use the winder batteries you should tape out from 6V and use a 3V
regulator to reduce the voltage for your camera. But it is risky as
any connection error may damage your camera.

C.H.Ling