Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: Walt Wayman <HIWAYMAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:50:00 -0400
I appreciate the responses on the battery thing, but I'm undeterred, still
planning to try it.  I will report the outcome.

C.H.Ling wrote:  ?... there is a temporary voltage drop whenever you
activate your winder, this drop may create problem for your camera...?

The winder doesn?t begin its operation until after the picture has been
taken, so any drain shouldn?t matter unlesss the winder is in sequence
mode, which I never use.  I?ve got an OM-4Ti with the Motor Drive 2 that I
use for that kind of stuff.  It doesn't need external battery help.

And John H. wrote:  ?You'd have to run separate wires to the battery holder
itself to tap off just 2 of the batteries.?

My plan has always involved tapping only into the battery compartment.  I
had figured on really thin wires (this ain?t a stove we?re hooking up) and
a connector somewhere along the way so the wiring could be unhooked and the
batteries could be replaced without screwing up the wiring.

As for the response from Jim S., who dared mention firearms here, I have
kept quiet about this subject, but I have to confess that I couldn?t help
but be more than a little amused recently reading the discussion about
different types of camera bags when some folks allowed as how they tried to
disguise their gear by carrying it in backpacks and other
non-photographic-looking stuff because they were afraid some thief would
take it from them.

I haul around (in an SUV) a mountain of gear, usually at least two Lowepro
Magnum bags full of Olys and Zuikos and a couple of  hard cases with medium
format stuff, and I do it openly, flagrantly, perhaps even carelessly
sometimes.  A usual and customary part of my ensemble is a fairly small,
navy blue fanny pack.  If you look at it closely, you just might notice a
short piece of cord dangling from the upper right-hand corner.  A quick tug
of the left hand on that cord and the fanny pack opens instantly so that
the right hand can draw the 9mm Glock from the holster inside.

So I don?t sweat some scumbag grabbing my gear.  I?ll let him (or them)
hold a couple of Black Talons for their trouble.

It?s great to live in the United States of America, especially in the
South, where getting a concealed carry permit is, as it should be, no big
deal.

Happy shooting, everyone!

Walt Wayman
NRA Life Member