[OM] Foam for padded dividers in bags

Subject: [OM] Foam for padded dividers in bags
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:30:41 +1000
Volkhart wrote:

 May be I'll try to find some suitable
hard-foam (like pipe insulation or so) - or are there better-suited
materials that could be used?

I buy those closed-cell foam roll-up mattresses that camping shops sell. Hikers use them as insulation between the ground and their sleeping bag. They are about 8-10mm thick, very absorbant of shocks and avail in different colours.

I make little individual covers out of nylon tent material I get locally, then sew on strips of hook and loop (velcro) . Getting pretty good with a sewing machine too !!! It makes a neat, easily customisable storage solution. You can make them in whatever size/colour/velcro combination you want, to suit either bags you already have, or (as in my case) plastic airtight storage boxes for storage at home.

I bought a 500g pack of silica gel dessicant from the local pharmacy for equiv of about US $12. it is self indicating, which means that when fully charged and ready to absorb, the crystals are deep blue. When exhausted and unable to absorb any more moisture, the crystals turn a pale pink. Once this happens, just pop em in the oven on a baking tray til they turn blue again.

I put the crystals into see-through salt/pepper shakers and put one or two in each storage container, so each time I open a container I can see the color of the crystals.

So far no fungus !!

I use pipe insulation on the legs of my tripods .