Re: [OM] OT - OK, I posted my cool vette pics, as requested

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - OK, I posted my cool vette pics, as requested
From: Larry <Halpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:25:03 -0400
Yes, that's a completely different situation. Now you're entering classic car
territory. My '65 red T-Bird convertible fully loaded with A/C, Speed Control
designed by Curtiss-Wright, Power vent windows, AM/FM, dual power seats,
Reclining passenger seat, Swing-Away Wheel, factory spotlight, spinner hubcaps,
and standard 300hp 427ft/lbs torque 390 V-8 with 4 bbl carb,-- sold brand new
off the delivery truck at $6000. Now, restored its worth about $16,000 to
$20,000. I use it, and show it often, and parts are extremely easy to find (and
install). Here in NY, emissions testing is not required, and so an inspection is
only 10 bucks a year instead of $35. Registration is only $23 as historical as
opposed to about $60 if done normally by its weight of 5100 lbs., and insurance
is $160 a year full coverage.

Its a completely different world than buying new, with its unavoidable
depreciation factor.

Also, in my fashion/illustration photography days, it made an untypical
automotive prop for the models to utilize. Of course my OM-2n and my staple
100-300mm f/4 Tokina AT-X wide open turned the car into a beautiful red bokeh..
:)

Larry

Nick Taylor wrote:

> In 1975 I paid US$7500 for my '75 orange 'vette rag-top with 7 miles on
> the odometer.  It still sits in my garage, and I'm guessing that it would
> bring more than $7500 if I were to sell it.
>
> Have fun,
>  -Nick
>
> BTW - - isn't this a photo list?

Tom Scales wrote:
[snip]
> Clearly my purchase bothers you deeply.  You didn't buy it, I did.  You're
> right. The used ones have held their value, (unless you shop around and easily
find a bargain), so the smart purchase