Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 00:44:12 EDT
In a message dated 9/20/2000 7:30:44 PM, lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< My preference is for a Ruger SP101, the OM-1 of revolvers.  Usually when
out
in the boonies, but also comforting the other night when I was shooting the
full moon during the wee hours downtown.  Of course, being essentially
pacifistic I'd be more inclined to let someone have my camera bag than to
"let 'em have it."  If he's willing to walk away without making trouble so
am I.

Lex >>

Although my long time companion and once upon a time duty weapon is a
Browning HP 9mm, which packs nicely in a Galco Royal Guard inside-the-pants
holster, my usual CCDW carry is a Kahr MK-9, a small stainless steel 9mm made
like a Swiss watch, carrying a set of tritium night sights. Tucks nicely
behind the right hip without a holster. Extra clip goes in the back pocket.
Gets picked up along with my OM gear. Goes with me even when the OM gear
stays home. [In the boonies I like my 6" magnaported S & W .41 magnum (yes
.41, not .44).]

Silly, paranoid habit? Nope. My brief stint as a south Georgia street cop
taught me that there is a parallel civilization of *not nice* people which
coexists with the *nice* people and which--fortunately--nice people only
occasionally run into, sometimes only once in a lifetime. (Nice people like
to pretend they're not out there.) But when you do have an encounter with one
of the not nice people who want something you have, or who just enjoy being
vicious, being a nice, respectful, "just want to be left alone" person won't
help you a bit. Nice people just don't understand that you can't reason with
unreasonable people. So--sometimes you survive the encounter, sometimes you
don't. People shouldn't be paranoid about every stranger they see, but being
naive about the risks (read unsuspecting and unprepared) does tend to tip the
scales in the not nice person's favor.

Think someone else will see that nothing bad happens to you? The police,
perhaps? The reality is that unless you and the police get awfully lucky, the
police will only get to you in time to take your statement, write up the
report about what happened to you, and then see if they can locate, identify
and catch who did it. That's a bit late.

On the other hand, carrying a deadly weapon is not gamesmanship. If one does
decide to "let someone have it," it had best be due to a reasonable belief
that one's life or health, or someone else's life or health, was at risk, not
just your OM gear, wallet, etc.

My hard-earned $0.02,

Robert