[OM] some news from the Photokina

Subject: [OM] some news from the Photokina
From: "marc simon" <marc.simon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:54:33 +0200
Hi all,
I'm back from the Photokina, too tired yesterday evening but here are some
news about some things I've seen.
As you could imagine my first visit was for Olympus...
Good news for the IS-3000 it is still exposed, demonstrated and it looks
like it's still "in the line" I guess Per will be pleased to hear that.
I've seen the E-10 a nice machine looking sturdy, well in hand really some
sort of digital IS-3000 (so I'm a little bit partial here...) One thing I've
noticed is that the  optical viewfinder doesn't look very bright I've seen a
"cross-sectionned" one and it looks like there is a complex optical path
with some prism for this viewfinder.
I've seen the E-100, one interesting characteristic is that it's a fast
camera 15 images/second and the first one is taken (with some memory
circuit) immediately when you "press the release.
There is another Camedia with the same lens (7~70mm  F2.8-3.5, equivalent of
a 38~380) with a normal speed and 2.100.000 pixels.
One thing about those cameras is the electronic viewfinder like a video
camera not very pleasant in my opinion...
About the OM line there is a new (?) Macro accessory...
the Hasselblad... With the macro support D-1 and the universal bellows (my
leaflets are in German so I must need some help from Volkahrt to understand
well  all the details)
The Hasselblad must be of course a focal plane one (200 series)... So
finally the digital back, there is a picture of one in the leaflet, for our
beloved Zuikos...:)
About those digital backs there is a new one  from MegaVision rather large
format using the Philips 3072x2048 ccd circuit and this back could be used
with the Hasselblad. The same circuit is used in a real size 35mm Pentax
autofocus SLR using the Pentax KAF2 mount (could use K mount lenses) I've
seen the model in a Plexiglas enclosure but no more than that and on the
press release I have the marketing date is "to be announced".
I've discussed some time with a German guy who's not on the list but he have
some knowledge of it he doesn't work for Olympus he was a demonstrator for
the OM line on the stand. He's an OM user (some bodies and around 20 lenses,
not yet a Tom Scales... ) he said me that the life of the OM line is not in
danger in the 5 years to come.
He gave me the "Handbuch de Olympus OM-system" which is an extensive
catalogue explaining all the existing (4th edition dated of 9/2000)
components of the OM line with the ordering numbers I guess John H. must
have something like that a very precious reference "bible".
As it's in German I'm not sure of  understanding everything but with
Volkhart through the mail and Christoph not far from here I could have some
missing (for me) details.
By the way, just for the record, the 50mm f1.8 is no more in the list...a
new thread about it perhaps ? :)
regards
marc