Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:08:10 -0700
Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A thing which I found out before I had a good repro stand was, that
the focusing rail is suited for vertical mounting on a tripod just as
it comes in your case, even without the base you are missing.

The trick is, to remove the black stop from the rear end of the rail.
The hole which the stop is sitting in, has normal tripod thread...

Hmmm... none of the three rails I checked have a standard 1/4"x20 tripod thread for the end cap. A tripod bolt will start on the thread, but won't easily go all the way in. Simply putting the cap threads next to a tripod bolt's threads reveal that they do not match up.

Perhaps you've cross-threaded or re-tapped yours?

Long ago, I lost a rail-end cap. I actually measured the thread, and then replaced it with the proper bolt and washer. I think it was an 8mm bolt, but that doesn't sound right, unless metric threads are measured differently than stoopid US threads. (ID vs OD, perhaps?)

Your suggestion would be perfect for me, Frank, if it would work! How did you get around the thread problem? Do your tripods in Holland use a different thread?

-------------- WARNING! INFLAMMATORY MATERIAL FOLLOWS! ----------------

When is the US going to get with the metric system? I learned it in school in the 60's, when it was supposedly "imminent!" We look like dinosaurs to the rest of the world, and it certainly impacts trade -- just ask why the Japanese buy raw logs instead of dimensioned lumber...