Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:51:26 +0200
Cc: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Jan.

You upset me, because I am sure of what I did, albeit more than ten
years ago. So I had to do a search for the rail I used in those
years...

I found it in the 'for spare parts only' box of cannibalized items,
and - unlike two others I own - it _did_ take bolts with  1/4"x20
tripod thread! On one end only - although I have changed that later
(see below)

I checked the hole, and I could only conclude that a former owner must
have modified the thread.
The hole looks a bit weird, because the thread was tapped 'on top' of
the old one, but the important thing is that both tripod thread bolts
and the original ???-thread stop fitted into it.
BTW, the black stops do also fit into tripod threaded holes, probably
because the threaded end is so short.

What I also did was try to modify the other rail end in the same way.
First I tried to screw a steel tripod threaded bolt into the 'normal'
hole by mere force - but I had to give up. Then I drilled the hole out
very slightly (by one or two tenths of a millimeter, only touching the
thread tops). After that I repeated the process, and now I could force
the bolt into the hole. After three or four times of screwing and
unscrewing the bolt it went easily enough. And the black stop still
fits well too!

I wouldn't advise anyone to do it this way with a good rail, but
rather use the tap and die set needed to do such a thing properly. I
didn't have a tap bit in this non metric size...
I just wanted to know if it could be done, and I wasn't to scared
about sacrificing the rail which was missing one of its chrome toothed
strips already, and therefore was sitting in the 'for spare parts
only' box.

I don't know about the slow progress (if any) of metrification in the
US. I do know that it is almost impossible to find bolts and nuts in
the 1/4"x20 thread here in Europe...

I share the concern implicated in your satiric last remark, Jan. I
often wonder why we do not call this list [OT] rather than [OM]...

It would also help when everyone would specifically mark the
relatively scarce Olympus related messages, by adding that name in the
subject line. Then I would only have to add a 'watch' filter for the
word 'Olympus' to suppress the strong noise and concentrate on the
weak signal ;-)

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.