Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 07:38:38 -0700
You upset me...

Oh dear -- surely you must know by now that I try NEVER to upset anyone! ;-)

...unlike two others I own - it _did_ take bolts with  1/4"x20
tripod thread! On one end only...
I checked the hole, and I could only conclude that a former owner must
have modified the thread.

Aha! And here I thought I had three extremely rare rails with the WRONG threads! :-)

I wouldn't advise anyone to do it this way with a good rail, but
rather use the tap and die set needed to do such a thing properly.

I've considered that, but the hole is extremely short -- most taps have a long tapered end that requires at least a cm or so of relief. (At least mine do.)

I'm going to try your idea of carefully deepening the hole before tapping it.

---------------- [OT] follows, please change subject if this is all you comment on ----------------

I don't know about the slow progress (if any) of metrification in the
US.

At one point, there was a four-stage process implemented for goods sold by weight or volume:

1) put both numbers on the label, with metric smaller and/or in parentheses,
2) put the metric number first, with the English number smaller and/or in parentheses, 3) change the packages to be in even metric units (such as 500g instead of 435g),
4) eliminate the English number.

This process was supposed to take 20 years or so, and was begun about 25 years ago. (1977?) We never made it past step #1.

Actually, that's not quite true. Sugar water is sold in liters these days, probably because the global market for Pepsi and Coke is now bigger than the US market. As a people, we've always been willing to be led around by our big companies -- the reactive 200-year-old theories of Adam Smith are deeply ingrained in the American psyche. Jay is right -- it will happen when big business lets it happen.

I guess that was a good start, but as far as missing the mark, an inch is as good as a mile, I mean 2.54 centimeters is as good as 1.6 kilometers, I mean -- well, you know what I mean...

Personally, I think we should get off this human-centered metric "fad" and get on with The Next Thing. I mean, what kinda extra-terrestial is gonna have ten fingers, anyway? It's time for the binary system! Think how easy it will be calculating natural logarithms! And we'll be universe-ready!

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>