Re: [OM] Freedom, politics

Subject: Re: [OM] Freedom, politics
From: RobBurn@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:59:49 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/2000 3:10:05 PM, Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm wondering, Rob: have you ever worked and lived in a foreign
country? Canada doesn't count. It does give one a different
perspective. >>

I have lived and/or worked in Korea, Okinawa (before and after the return to
Japan), Japan, Philippine Islands and Thailand and I have visited the
Netherlands, Ukraine (twice) and Guatemala. It's interesting that you would
think I am provincial and politically naive merely because of my views.

I didn't say the US is perfect, but it's a darned sight better than the other
countries I have been in with the possoble exception of the Netherlands.
Didn't stay there long enough to judge. I still prefer the US to anywhere I
have been. And I still say despite all the exceptions you mention we have (on
the whole and by constitutional design) unsurpassed personal freedom.

I don't dispute the fact that politicians backed by big money make a vast
difference in what happens in the US. The people in power (the rulers, the
wealthy, the politicians) ALWAYS make the laws and selectively enforce them.
Name me a country where that is not the case. In many countries the military
back both groups against the local populace. In our case, many of the
problems we have are the result of personal abrogation of constitutionally
defined freedoms. We are not locked into our present system. If a majority of
US citizens would study the issues, carefully examine the candidates (and the
record of incumbents) and vote for the common good, we could make a
difference.
And if the government seeks to deny us the exercise our that right, we have
the right to resist, throw out those in power and demand accountability from
those who replace them. It may not always be possible by peaceful means. Of
course with a disarmed citizenry it may not be possible by any means.

Our government was designed with a balance of judicial, legislative and
executive powers. We, the people, have allowed people holding those once
distinctive offices and powers to encroach into unlawful areas of
decision-making and authority. Legislators frequently serve special interest
groups and personal interests rather than the interest of the people as a
whole. The President circumvents Congress and legislates with Executive
Orders and a line-item veto power! The Supreme Court makes laws by judicial
fiat. We have the freedom, the obligation and the tools and methods to
denounce and resist such.

On the other hand, in many countries of the world, the mere opinions we are
exchanging would have us imprisoned or worse.

Hmmm. Let's see. Are we back to SUVs yet?  ;-)

Robert