Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: base for focus rail or bellows
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 00:14:23 +0200
Yo ,

on Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:45:07 -0400,Scott Nelson wrote:

>Just about everything where there is an advantage to convert to metric either
>has been converted or was always done that way (e.g. automobile manufacturing,
>nuclear bomb building).

Oddly enough, last time I was in the U.S. and looked around in a Lowe's, one
of the very few metric things that caught my eye were some plumbing pipes
and fixtures; in fact, all their plumbing stuff was metric. What's strange
about this is that plumbing supplies are just about the only thing over here
in Germany (don't know how it is in other European countries) for which the
antique measures are still used exclusively. I'm not really sure why this is
so, but I suspect one reason might be that changing to metric would make
repairs on the plumbing in old houses difficult or impossible as new parts
would not fit.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--