[OM] An offer of truce and hand of friendship...

Subject: [OM] An offer of truce and hand of friendship...
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 23:26:03 GMT
Dear listfolk,

I'm afraid my own strong rhetoric and uncompromising attitude regarding off-topic matters has contributed to the discomfort some listfolks are feeling now. As it is I feel rather responsible for raggedy ann and Frank Ernens (sp?) leaving the list a few weeks ago, altho' at the time I felt I was only defending myself appropriately. Now the whole thing seems rather silly.

With Clyde and Tom now expressing unhappiness with the tone some recent threads have taken, even to the point of considering leaving the list, I feel compelled to apologize for my contribution to the unpleasantness.

Despite my strong opinions regarding shooting irons and liberty in general, neither topic is a major or daily part of my life. In fact, I haven't handled a firearm in weeks nor fired one in more than a year.

Here is an example of what I truly value, tho' a few notches below my family:

http://www.artbabyart.com/

I'm pleased the curator of this online museum liked my work enough to feature it on the home page this month. This thumbnail of "Firebird of Paradise" shows only part of the image - click directly on it to open the java script full size version.

A bit about the image - for the past few years I've experimented with a "painting with light" technique when photographing fireworks. Rather than trying to capture a burst as it appears to the eye, I handhold the camera with the shutter locked open, sometimes panning with the launch, other times aiming toward where I expect the burst to occur. Most images consist of multiple launches and bursts - as this one does - accomplished by locking open the shutter and covering the lens between launches with my hand. Fiddling with multiple exposure mechanisms has always annoyed me so I avoid it. And other than adjusting tone curves for a nice black background, and sharpness a bit, no digital trickery is used in these images.

If I recall correctly, "Firebird of Paradise" consists of three launches and bursts. With one I panned upward to follow a launch while holding the camera vertically (diagonally, actually). With another I held the camera horizontally, holding where I expected the burst to occur, with the lens focused. For the third burst (the largest, red burst) I held the camera horizontally with the lens defocused. Naturally whether any of this works is purely serendipitous. Generally out of each roll I'll get one usable image. This year I shot two rolls and was fortunate to get three very interesting images and another one or two that weren't bad. Most are simply dull or look like childish mistakes.

Thanks for "listening."  Peace to all.

Lex
===