RE: [OM] Valuable photos

Subject: RE: [OM] Valuable photos
From: "Dave Bulger" <david_bulger@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 21:03:10 -0500
Back in the 80's I taught a course in street photography for UT, where we
walked through various areas of town shooting Tri-X with 35 or 50mm lenses
(yes, I had my -1n & a Zuiko 50/1.4!) at an attempt to capture "art" from
our surroundings.  The only restrictions I placed were that the cameras be
in manual mode and that they frame their image to print almost-full-frame
5x7s.

As a project for the finish of the course, I had the students select a shot
of theirs, print it/have it printed in a 5x7 format, single mat it in 8x10,
and frame it.  We then had a formal exhibition of the prints for the family
members of the class, with all of the photos on sale for $50 each.  Dr.
Pepper, cheese balls, Handel's Water Music on the cassette deck, the whole
bit.

Every print sold.  Mostly to Dads, which surprised me.  I would have thought
that the Moms would have made sure the prints were purchased.

Did wonders for the confidence and enthusiasm of the fledgling
photographers!

Dave

> At 20:56 9/23/00 , Gregg wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >After looking at this site, imagine what your photos must be worth!
> >
> >http://www.nextmonet.com/search/suggestionsView.jhtml?collect
ionID=4324

>Gregg

Egad, I had to take a tour back through the ADITL, TOPE and OM galleries
afterward just to regain my balance and perspective about fine art
photography.  I'm very curious how many prints they sell.

I need to start making 11x14/16 Ilfochrome prints, mount them in 16x20
frames with mats, sell them for half those prices, and then retire.

-- John