Re: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)

Subject: Re: [OM] Beating a Dead Horse (Not Animal Rights)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:00:46 -0700
So the question is do I shoot slide film or print film? Which is best at being
scanned?

As in all questions of moderate or greater complexity, the answer is, "It depends." :-)

Slide film has greater density, and less tonal range. "Dark noise" is a problem on inexpensive CCD scanners, but no problem at all for any decent drum scanner.

Negative film has a greater tonal range, but inexpensive CCD scanners tend to make the highlights noisy and grainy looking.

I prefer slide film for low-contrast subjects, and negative film for high-contrast subjects. If I don't know what to expect, I carry two bodies, with different film in each.

Is a viable alternative to continue doing this and when I have a hundred
or so ship them off to a service to be transferred to CD.

Don't get rid of your originals, even after having them scanned!

Would a better
alternative be to send them a roll at a time to Kodak (or Fuji) for processing
and having them returned with the digital images being posted on the web.

Any image you're going to pull off the Internet is not going to be as good as one you can make from even a moderately priced scanner.

You get bonus points if you point out what is most cost effective.

0) KEEP YOUR ORIGINALS!

1) Get an inexpensive or moderately priced film/slide scanner. Look for a used one from someone who is at Step #4.

2) Experiment until you've identified its shortcomings, and can tell the difference between those shortcomings and operator error.

3) KEEP YOUR ORIGINALS!

4) Sell it to someone who is at Step #1, and buy something better.

5) KEEP YOUR ORIGINALS!!!

That way, you've learned and made mistakes on the cheap while technology is advancing, and haven't lost as much re-sale value.

(I'm on my third iteration, having just bought a drum scanner...)

--
: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>