Re: [OM] somewhat OT: 24bit vs higher color

Subject: Re: [OM] somewhat OT: 24bit vs higher color
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:01:32 GMT
I haven't been able to discern the difference onscreen but folks who produce the highest possible quality prints from scanned images say the higher (deeper?) bit depth matters. I've settled on the sRGB standard just to simplify things and because most of my scans are viewed online, not printed.

Lex
===

From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

if stuff on the web displays (generally) only in 24bits, and i think PS
and other image editing software also works in 24bits, what's the use of
scanning at higher depth? if there were two pictures, side by side, 24 and
36 (or 32, if the monitor is limited to 32), can one visually discern
it? thanks,

/Acer V