[OM] Film Scanners (was Dead Horses...)

Subject: [OM] Film Scanners (was Dead Horses...)
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:42:27 +1000
Thanx for the input Tom.

Reason for my interest is that I have a Powermac G4 with Firewire and USB connectivity options. I really like Firewire - no ID's , no terminators, hot plug and play, virtually unlimited devices (well 60-something anyway). Much less cantankerous than SCSI. I could get a SCSI card put in the G4 but that seems like a backward step. Hoped that I'd seen the tail end of SCSI when I sold my old Mac. I use Firewire for my CD-burner, DV camera and a couple of large capacity external drives. It's pretty neat.

I just thought someone might have heard a whisper about Firewire film scanners at Photokina or the big Las Vegas imaging trade shows. If someone would make something like a Coolscan or a Sprintscan with Firewire it sounds like that would be the ticket.....

Where does the Sprintscan stand price-wise compared to the Coolscans?

What do other list members use?

I'd like to be able to scan for the web, to make desktop backgrounds for my computer at work, and also to print nice inkjet type glossy prints. Say 8 x 10 max. They wouldn't have to be archival, they would be just for my enjoyment and the family's.

peter

I'd contend that SCSI isn't fading away, but being complimented.  Firewire
hasn't caught on all that well yet (although I do use it for my mini-DV
video camera).

Right now, for 35mm, the best scanner is probably (had to add the probably
so as to not start a flame war), the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000, as it has the
highest resolution, 4000dpi. It produces, roughly, 5500x3500 pixel images
(18mp) and the results are stunning.

Tom

 I've been toying with the idea of getting a 35mm film scanner. I
 shoot transparencies and don't really have a way to get them onto
 CD-ROM (I have a CD burner).

   Anyone know if Nikon et al are likely to bring out a Firewire
 Coolscan model anytime soon? Any other company? The Olympus ES-10
 wasn't even Mac compatible so i don't hold out much hope there !!!!

 Seems to me that with SCSI fading away and USB not quite up to the
 bandwidth requirements of shuffling Mb of data rapidly, this is the
 next logical step.

 TIA

 peter