Re: [OM] Film Scanners (was Dead Horses...)

Subject: Re: [OM] Film Scanners (was Dead Horses...)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:22:06 +0200
Peter

I am not sure that I want to offer advice since you have a G4 and all I have is a PowerMac 6500/300.... ;-)

I use a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual (2400 ppi I believe). This was the best that I could afford and it works fine. However, the quality of a processing shop CD is normally better.

The scanning I have found is only half the battle anyway, the digital processing afterwards takes ages if you are a beginner like me.

Chris

Thanx for the input Tom.

Reason for my interest is that I have a Powermac G4 with Firewire and USB connectivity options. I really like Firewire - no ID's , no terminators, hot plug and play, virtually unlimited devices (well 60-something anyway). Much less cantankerous than SCSI. I could get a SCSI card put in the G4 but that seems like a backward step. Hoped that I'd seen the tail end of SCSI when I sold my old Mac. I use Firewire for my CD-burner, DV camera and a couple of large capacity external drives. It's pretty neat.

I just thought someone might have heard a whisper about Firewire film scanners at Photokina or the big Las Vegas imaging trade shows. If someone would make something like a Coolscan or a Sprintscan with Firewire it sounds like that would be the ticket.....

Where does the Sprintscan stand price-wise compared to the Coolscans?

What do other list members use?

I'd like to be able to scan for the web, to make desktop backgrounds for my computer at work, and also to print nice inkjet type glossy prints. Say 8 x 10 max. They wouldn't have to be archival, they would be just for my enjoyment and the family's.

peter

I'd contend that SCSI isn't fading away, but being complimented.  Firewire
hasn't caught on all that well yet (although I do use it for my mini-DV
video camera).

Right now, for 35mm, the best scanner is probably (had to add the probably
so as to not start a flame war), the Polaroid Sprintscan 4000, as it has the
highest resolution, 4000dpi. It produces, roughly, 5500x3500 pixel images
(18mp) and the results are stunning.
--
<|_:-)_|>
imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx