[OM] differences in color/ b&w for zuikos.

Subject: [OM] differences in color/ b&w for zuikos.
From: "james olson" <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:49:35 GMT
has anyone on the list noticed how olympus lenses seem to handle color and black and white differently than other camera makers? what i mean is: when i used to own canon EOS cameras, i generally felt the canon lenses produced "more pleasing" slides. and my olympus stuff seemed to produced much nicer black and white prints. and lately, i've found that, for me, the 28/2 zuiko produces beautiful black and white, but not as good in the color field.... while the 24/2 produces more pleasing color results. it is an interesting thing, and i've always wondered if it is because of how the companies design their lenses.

on a similar note, while the 50/3.5 doesn't test as well on lens test sites, i've always felt it produces photographs that are the most pleasing to me. they have a certain color blending, softness, sharpness, etc. that works so well together. (wouldn't want to use the "b" word....) while looking at slides, the 50/3.5 slides always seem to pop on the screen.

and finally, i'm hunting for a 40/2 for travel photography purposes... i know it's been talked about. but can anyone with the lens comment on what they think of it? (not the data from lens test sites.) is it worth hunting for, based on the $$$ if you own it?

thanks, james.