Re: [OM] scanner rationalization, or, thank you Wolf Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] scanner rationalization, or, thank you Wolf Camera
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 02:27:52 GMT
Photo processing at most places has become a nasty joke. I look at photos done by Fox Photo 10-20 years ago and it puts to shame almost every current processing except pro labs. Digital photography and darkroom won't take over because of any inherent superiority. It'll take over by default. Even then it'll have to be a DIY job because the Wolf Photos of the world will somehow manage to do crappy digital work no matter how idiot-proof the equipment is.

Lex
===

From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:31:22 -0500

...I've been taking it to Wolf Camera for processing and scanning to a Kodak PictureCD...Thursday, I picked up a roll from the Benelux/European OM disposal tour. Hmm. . . I know I've been having some problems with my eyes, but I never blew the focus that badly before - on a whole roll, shot mostly with a 24 mm, and the Eiffel Tower wasn't moving! The scans were truly awful. Pull out the Zuiko 50 mm f/1.8 MC loupe (obligatory OM content) and, sure enough, every frame on the whole roll of negatives was nice and crisp. Well exposed, too.

Saturday was spent making two more trips halfway across town to Wolf to convince the manager that something in the scanning was screwed up ("But our machine is autofocus! Did you use a tripod? They're night shots, you know. Oh, the negatives ARE sharp. That's never happened before!") and then pick up the rescanned CD. OK this time, but. . .

Thank you Wolf Camera - that episode was the last little bit of rationalization I needed to go out and buy the film scanner that I wanted anyway.