Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries, batteries, batteries
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:40:48 -0700 (PDT)
Rob Burn wrote:
No thanks, Ray. Like I said in another posting, the only thing I want
to be shot with is an OM. I am sorry to hear about what in happening in
parts of Indonesia. Hope you're in a safe area. One more example of how
easy it is for armed victimizers to terrorize and victimize an unarmed
people.
Rob, I am also sorry about what's happening here. I am in a relatively
safe area, I suppose, but 'things' also happen in Jakarta, on
occasions. As you say, armed victimizers can easily terrorize an
unarmed populace . . . one argument I've seen in favour of allowing
civilians to own firearms. However, this phenomenon doesn't strike me
as the systematic victimization of groups of civilians by the State:
it's all rather haphazard and there seems to be no connexion at all
between the bad events in different parts of the country, such as Aceh
(local rebellion), Maluku (religious intolerance), Irian Jaya
(objections to encroachment and exploitation by a large corporation)
and West Timor (terrorism of erstwhile province East Timor and its
helpers).

I don't personally believe that these troubles are due to deliberate
action by the Government of Indonesia to oppress local populations; the
biggest problem, IMHO, is a serious lack of Government coordination and
control. President "Gus Dur" (a.k.a. Abdurachman Wahid) was visibly
pissed off with the recent murderous attack by the militia (a.k.a.
scumbags) on the UN staff in West Timor and I don't think he's all that
impressed with the goings-on in other areas, either.

I strongly suspect that the troubles in this country are aggravated as
a result of exloitation of the recently-won freedom of the press by
some irresponsible local newspapers, many of which have a political axe
to grind and which seem to enjoy spreading rumour and gossip of an
inflamatory nature. Freedom of speech should not, IMHO, include license
to lie to a gullible and easily excited public. Freedom of speech is
still a novlety here; when coupled with the power of the press, I
believe it needs to be exercised responsibly, with due consideration of
its likely impact.

Regards,

=====
Ray