Re: [OM] 50 / 1.8 MC Zuiko as enlarging lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 50 / 1.8 MC Zuiko as enlarging lens
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:02:27 +0100
> My first thought would be that it is not a flat field lens.. >

Perhaps it would be better used in reverse mode, which should make it a bit
easier to adapt to fit the enlarger too. The problem that could occur is
that you may not be able to get the lens close enough to the negative to
focus for big prints. For my first forays into 35mm printing I used a 50mm
f3.5 Industar from an early Zenith s.l.r. because it had a 39mm thread and
it was okay. I later bought a 'proper' enlarger lens but couldn't tell the
difference in the prints and I missed having the lens's focusing ring for
fine adjustments.

I should think that focusing at f1.8 would give a lovely bright image and a
very responsive focus 'snap.' You'd need a short manual tube or something to
hold the auto diaphragm stopped down. As long as you switch off the lamp
except when focusing and printing the heat shouldn't be enough to worry
about.

Regards,
Keith Berry