Re: [OM] Edmonton Photo Fair, Fort Edmonton

Subject: Re: [OM] Edmonton Photo Fair, Fort Edmonton
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:12:06 -0700 (PDT)
Gregg wrote:
(snip) For an example of a distorted animal shot, here is a
friends dog shot with the 24/2.8
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=80379&a=586164&p=15763910
Good one, Gregg! Incidentally, AFAIK what we call 'distortion' is
simply a matter of the distance from which we view photos. If you hold
a photo taken with a WA lens close enough to your eye, it will not
appear distorted any more because you then have the same 'perspective'
as the lens. Likewise, a picture taken with a long focus lens will look
more natural if viewed from a greater distance. I find the latter
easier to understand, because all the long lens has done is to magnify
what was seen in the distance, such as vehicles or light poles that
appear very close together, owing to the compression of distance at
long range. If anyone thinks I've got it cock-eyed, please say so.

Regards,

=====
Ray