Re: [OM] Alternative

Subject: Re: [OM] Alternative
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:41:25 GMT
Good suggestion, Garth. Many of us do enjoy these spirited, if OT, debates, tho' I can understand why most would prefer OM-specific discussion. My 2MB hotmail account limit has often been strained lately, something I never thought I'd see before joining the list. (BTW, it's not just the list, but also contributions from my eBay folder and others I keep on file for up to several weeks.)

But it's obvious we enjoy one another's company and intellects for the most part and I detect a lot of mutual respect despite the deep philosophical differences. So it's difficult to rigidly follow an on-topic rule, just as it was difficult to not talk with our schoolmates during class. The very reason why OT discussions ensue is because of the high overall intelligence of listfolk here. Most other forums have too many people unskilled in rhetoric to make debates enjoyable. It's a mixed blessing, hmm?

Other photo forums, such as on CompuServe, have sections for such non-photo-related discussions. Many folks simply choose not to read or download those sections (if they use offline readers).
-----------
Lex Jenkins
"Thith dethert ith thtupid." - Butthead

From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:41:49 -0600

At 06:25 PM 9/25/2000 -0700, you wrote:

>>I am even considering to open a separate and more 'globally' oriented
>>channel, where non-Olympus-related traffic would simply be prohibited.
>>
>>Frank van Lindert
>>Utrecht NL.
>I would be happy to join such a list, Frank. I have been lurking on the list for about a month and it is sad to see how it has degenerated. I think you would get back many people who have left the list in the past couple of years.

Might I humbly suggest what I believe to be a better idea?

Those of you who've read the missives from Tasty Bits from the Technology Front (www.tbtf.com) know that they've been using a service previously called "Take It Offline" and now called "Quick Topic" to allow people to carry on threads of conversation which diverge from main threads without pestering other people. Info on how Quick Topic works can be found at:

     http://www.quicktopic.com/

It worked on the various threads at TBTF -- can't see why it couldn't work here, too.

Garth