Re: [OM] OM PC

Subject: Re: [OM] OM PC
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:05:53 EDT
Cc: jeffbellin@xxxxxxxx
In a message dated 09/25/2000 9:47:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeffbellin@xxxxxxxx writes:

> I was in my local camera store and caught a glimps of someone leaving
>  with an OM PC. What is the big what looks like a button on the side of
>  the lens mount for? Also, what does a PC do? From what I think I've
>  figured out it is a "bargain" level 2S.

The OM-PC (OM-40 outside North America) was the last of the "consumer" OMs
(OK, I suppose the OM2000 is more recent, but it isn't built by Olympus). The
PC/40 is the most feature packed of the OMs - manual, aperture priority auto,
and programmed exposure modes. The "button" on the side of the lens mount
turns on the "ESP" metering - an early, but apparently effective, attempt at
"matrix" metering. It's the only "consumer" OM with TTL flash capabilities.
It's also the only OM with DX film speed setting. Takes the motor drive, but
only to 3.5 fps due to the delay induced by the extra aperture linkage for
the programmed mode (like the OM-2S). What's missing? Interchangeable screens
and backs.

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings