Re: [OM] How many were there ?

Subject: Re: [OM] How many were there ?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 21:08:53 -0500
From: "Gary Reese" <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<snip>
 But that
> is it until a 350mm f/2.8 Zuiko loan comes my way.
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Speaking of which, the 350/2.8 arrived in my office today.  I haven't had a
chance to do anything other than look at it, and won't anytime soon.  The
most obvious thing I noticed was: "This thing is HUGE".  I was stunned at
the size and weight.  It's in what I would call Very Good condition.  With a
little cleanup, I think it will be close to excellent condition. It does
have a scratch on the front element (1 cm -- can you Americans figure that
out? -- ok, had to get that in).  It's towards the side, so I don't think
that will be a problem.  The focusing ring moves surprisingly easily. Don't
think that's bad, just my first observation.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll at
least mount it on a body and point it out the window.

I'll probably mount it on a body and put it on the monopod and take it to
Saturday's soccer game. I'll throw the 50-250 on a body and keep it around
my neck, but when the action is on the other side of the field, I'll try the
350.

Question to those that own one:  It has it's own aluminum case.  I need to
ship it off to Gary.  Can I just slap a label on the case, tape the latches
shut and mail it?  I suspect, if just for to keep it from being stolen, it
should go in an outer box, but I think it would make it ok.  Since it weighs
like 2200 pounds (1000 kilos - keeping in the international spirit), I think
it will be pricey to ship.

As cool as it is, and it is cool, I don't see myself using it much, so I'll
sell it. Haven't worked out the price yet, but probably around $2500.  I'll
offer this one to the list first, since I suspect many of you would be
interested.  Some have already asked, and I saved those, so I'll email them
first.

An amazing piece of glass.

Tom