Re: [OM] Lens Tests: 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko (multi-coated, late "Made in Japan

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Tests: 50mm f/1.8 Zuiko (multi-coated, late "Made in Japan" variant)
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:39:17 GMT
As a longtime Can-not-an-OM-on user I can confirm that keeping up with their line of zooms in particular is extremely difficult. Every time I think I've identified every zoom, I find an old lens brochure with a variation I hadn't seen before. Add to that Gary's valid observation that many simply weren't worth the trouble to find (okay, that's my observation)...maddening.

After only six months or so as an OM user I have a reasonable idea of every Zuiko made, a credit to their sensibility.

The only thing about Zuikos that makes little sense - in this era of zoom domination, why did OM drop so many of their most popular designs? It would seem sensible to keep, in addition to the 35-80/2.8, the tiny 35-70/3.5-4.5, 65-200/4, and one of the legendary beasts, either the 50-250/5 or 85-250/5.

Such as the vagaries of marketing.

Thanks for the tests, Gary. Really helps to know the nuances of certain lenses. I don't know of another reliable source on the net for such information.