Re: [OM] 50/1.4 vs. 50/1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 50/1.4 vs. 50/1.8
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:21:26 +0000
IMO the 50/1.2 is the best standard lens Oly made (and still makes), if you
want to spend the money for it.  You don't hear about it much because there
don't seem to be many around.  If there are, nobody is willing to part with
it (and no, you *cannot* have mine).  I don't think I've every used it wide
open, but have shot it at f/2.  Very even performance from f/16 to at least
there!

The remarks on the list over time give me the impression the "new"
multi-coated 50/1.8 probably runs a close second and is most likely the
best bang for the buck.  I think the S/N > 1,000,000 difference applies to
the 50/1.4's (now out of production), not the 50/1.8's.  My original Zuiko
lens was an older single-coated 50/1.8, and I now have the 50/1.2 and a
50/1.4 MC S/N < 1,000,000.  If I had to rate the three, the f/1.2 is the
best, then the f/1.4, then the older f/1.8, but you have to look at huge
enlargements to detect it (extreme fine grain transparency projected to 35"
x 50").

If nothing else, you will find the faster lens easier to focus with the
brighter viewfinder (whether it's an f/1.8, f/1.4 or f/1.2).   I have an
80/2.8 on the MF, and its salvation in lower light levels with a noticeably
dimmer viewfinder is the larger screen.

-- John