Re: [OM] Matrix metering

Subject: Re: [OM] Matrix metering
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:25:59 +0100
Jeffrey E Bellin wrote:
> If the OM PC only averages 2 areas when it is in the matrix metering
> mode, is it really worth it? Has anyone ever done a side by side
> comparison of the PC's regular metering and matrix metering to see if you
> can tell a difference?

Switching ESP on certainly makes a difference in situations where the main
subject is surrounded by a much lighter or darker area and I'm still coming
to terms as to whether it's a useful feature. Switched off it behaves like
my OM-2n would and therefore, to me, the results are more predictable as I'm
used to applying exposure compensation in the direction I think appropriate.
Leaving it for ESP to do sometimes gives unexpected results, a pleasant
surprise on one occasion that comes to mind.

I like my OM40 (PC) a lot and it's become my preferred outdoor s.l.r. body,
especially as its first pair of batteries lasted 14 months. Speaking of
which, I seemed to get an undocumented 'batteries soon to expire' warning. A
few hours before the mirror locked up I noticed that the viewfinder display
was switching off much sooner than usual.

Regards,
Keith Berry