Re: [OM] Bees and Bats

Subject: Re: [OM] Bees and Bats
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 19:33:39 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Reynolds wrote:

There is a story in this week's AP in the UK about a guy who
photographed a bee in flight (in daylight) by using what sounds like a
similar set up. What's puzzling me is that the story said that he used
an OM2n at a shutter speed of 1/10,000 sec. How can this be when the 2n
only goes up to 1/1000 and syncs at 1/60 maximum, IRRC? Am I just being
thick here? Help!
Paul, I think it's just a poor choice of words in the AP article. The
duration of the flash would have been in the order of 1/10000 sec. That
would freeze the motion of an insect's wings in flight. The ambient
light might provide enough exposure of the (out of focus) background at
the shutter speed, as you rightly say, of 1/60 (or below), and this
could be adjusted with the lens aperture. It would be a bit like using
flash fill. If the bee's wings appeared sharp but superimposed on a
fainter, blurred image of the wings, then that could be because the
ambient light also formed an image but the flash dominated.

Regards,

=====
Ray