[OM] Flash photos / Bees & bats

Subject: [OM] Flash photos / Bees & bats
From: Norma Foltz <nfoltz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:49:48 -0700
Well I've got a neat bee photo in broad daylight using two flash units
(BG2 + T32) and T10 Ring flash.  It was hand held at close range and
I'm glad the bees did not decide to Sting me !
http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/~flzhgn/insect3.htm
The bee's wing motion is not stopped in this photo because the
proportion
of natural light to flash illumination is too great.  It would have
worked better
with more flash units or maybe a T-45  and a neutral density filter !

Hummingbirds (Trochilidae) are New World birds that have amazing
abilites to hover and to refract light.  They are with only one or two
exceptions the tiniest of birds.  Their wings beat 150 times per second.

I use multiple flash units aimed at each other to trick the thyristor
control
to cut off the flash as fast as it can (about 1/40000 th second).
The second image ( a motion GIF) was made this way.
http://flzhgn.home.mindspring.com/hek2.htm

If you want any suggestions on taking this kind of photo let me know
and I'll advise you.

-- Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>